Saturday, April 21, 2012

HAWMC, Day 21

Health Madlib Poem. Again, am I a grinch or did madlibs stop being fun in the 3rd grade? Instead, I'm going to pull from one of the spare prompts WEGO sent me:

Personify your health. If your health focus were a person – what would they be like? Describe them. Visually, emotionally, physically, and personality-wise. What kind of person are they?

My migraines personified. Now, this question I like.

Some migraines are like a sleep-deprived toddler, tantrumming and flailing at the slightest provocation. Those are the migraines that make me feel like I could just crawl out of my skin; sitting still is misery, moving is torment, I wish for death and feel so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so sorry for myself.

I have some migraines that are more like a sullen teenager, unresponsive to normal treatment and seemingly angry at the world. It's a dull throb in my head, like the bass line to a thrash metal song that's being played too loudly to make out a single note. And maybe there are even random stabbings about my skull, as if the little cretin is trying to pierce me up as much as she is.

Then there's the grumpy old man migraines. I hunch over to walk, speak in a whisper and have a scowl knotted into my features. These ones often come with a sense of calm acceptance. I patiently wait them out, often with a blanket on my lap, watching reruns of my old favorites to take the edge off.

And sometimes, I imagine my migraines to be a mean-spirited troll who lives in my cranium. He's strong and pissed off, all the time. He's got a jackhammer and a pickaxe in there with him, too, the bastard.



0 comments: