Thursday, April 19, 2012

HAWMC, Day 19

5 Dinner Guests. Who are 5 people you’d love to have dinner with (living or deceased) and why?

Hillary Clinton, Amy Poehler, the Dalai Lama, Queen Elizabeth I and Laura Ingalls Wilder are the first five people who come to mind.

Hillary Clinton, Madame Secretary of State, is amazing. It doesn't hurt that I agree with her on 90% of her politics, I love the way she stands up to the patriarchial political climate we've got and I especially love Texts from Hillary, a short-lived meme blog that featured a submission from Hillz herself, showing she's got a wit on her, too.

Amy Poehler, the hilarious star and writer for Parks and Recreation, would be there for the side-commentary and the lulz. I loved her on Saturday Night Live and she rocks my world as Leslie Knope and it sounds like the funnest night ever to have a pajama and wine party with her and probably Tina Fey and Maya Rudolph would show up, too.

The Dalai Lama would be an incredible dinner guest. I've seen him in interviews and he always impresses me with his carriage. He's happy, I think, all the time. He's met so many people and had such an interesting life, I think I'd invite him to stay the weekend so we could continue the conversation.

I'm not sure why Elizabeth I occurred to me, but when I saw Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett, I did have a bit of an infatuation with the virgin queen. Or maybe it was Cate Blanchett, she is a fantastic actress!

Laura Ingalls Wilder, because her books have inspired me since I was very little. Imagining her childhood in the big woods, what it would be like to travel in a wagon, the hard lives of early settlers, and the universal themes of love and humor, across time and distance. I'd love to meet her and find out if she's as comforting in person as she is in her books.

0 comments: