Sunday, April 15, 2012

HAWMC: Day 15

Writing with Style. What’s your writing style? Do words just flow from your mind to your fingertips? Do you like handwriting first? Do you plan your posts? Title first or last? Where do you write best?

I just sit and type, I don't always really think about it, just let the thoughts flow through my fingers. When I'm blogging, I often publish without much editing, just for typos and such, but with school papers, or more intensive blog posts, I go over and over and over and over them. I tend to type it all out, stream of consciousness style, then edit and edit and add thoughts and edit some more until finally it all looks right.

I almost always write the title of a post when I'm done writing it, and I like it to reference parts of the piece that I think are most important, or I might try to make it a little funny, or maybe it'll be a simple sum-up of the idea I'm trying to get across, it really depends on the moment.

I can write anywhere. When I had a smartphone, I would thumb out posts while waiting in the car or sitting in the doctor's office or laying in bed, and I felt like I had a lot of creative room with that system. Being tied to the computer chair can be frustrating.

I've always dreamed of making a living from writing but I've never had the confidence or inclination to really give it a go. I did write a book, once. It was book-sized, at least. It was a semi-fictional, semi-autobiographical murder mystery/drama/love gone wrong tale that sounds a lot more interesting in this sentence than it ever was in any of its 300 pages. It was terrible, but writing it was a wonderful form of therapy, and I like remembering that I wrote a book, even if only one person ever read it.




0 comments: