Sunday, January 23, 2011

Creativity Keeps Me Sane

And I'm sick again. The hell.

Since I've been unable to leave my house without abject misery, keeping happy and entertained is essential. The internet provides me with all the movies and tv I can zone out on, and for that, I am so grateful. But all that passive input tends to leave my brain feeling soft-boiled, and it does nothing for the claustrophobic panic that can set in when I've been trapped indoors for too long. So, today, I am going to share with you some creative pursuits that have kept me from going off the deep end.


First, some migraine art. 






 

Also, a while back I was feeling angsty and depressed, during a similar stretch of not leaving the house. Instead of stressing out, or taking meds that I'd rather avoid, I was able to keep myself present and lower my stress significantly with some empowering collaging. I made these from a few women's magazines. You know the ones that tell you how to keep your man and lose ten pounds and how to do this season's eyeliner and what clothes you should be buying? It was damned therapeutic cutting those up. Here are the results:

And 8.5" x11" piece of paper of covered with scraps of magazine headlines. The messages are all positive, and include phrases like: "You'll never need plastic surgery", "You need to live", "smart food", "more than beautiful", and "everyone deserves to be healthy and wise"

A second collage is covered with yet more happy thoughts, like "wild at heart", "It's ok", "go forth", "I've always been a strong girl and I never took crap from anyone", "yes!" and "live for comfort".There are a few messy spots because I made the glue from flour and water and pretty much slopped it everywhere.

I've listed a few of the phrases, but if there are any you can't read, or if you'd like me to transcribe them, let me know.

I've had the collages hanging on my wall in the kitchen, so I see them, and their positive messages, every day. I don't usually stop and read, but I'll glance as I pass by and catch a happy message or two, and if I'm not feeling well, it can really improve my state of mind to take a moment and soak in the self-love.

Art is the most wonderful therapy.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooooooo. Nicely done!

Jessica said...

Did you draw those migraine pics???

And...you made you own glue?!?!?

Haha!!!

steph said...

Thanks Christine!


Jessica,

The migraine pictures are actually photos of me migraining that I edited to within an inch of their lives.

And yup, glue from flour and water works very well for art projects.

Migrainista said...

love love love the migraine art! I'm even kinda jealous that you can be so creative during all this :)Well done!

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

Love the artwork including the collages!!! I keep the word RELAX on top of my computer hutch to remind myself to breathe sometimes!

Wishing you weren't so sick - thanks for taking the time to share with us!!!

Jessica said...

Well I love the photos...seriously...I wanna buy copies!!!

steph said...

Jessica, that's so sweet! If you'd like to use those images, have at it! No charge! :) (I just ask that you credit/link me where appropriate.)


Thanks for all the positive feedback, ladies! It's making my day!

Sue said...

Oh wow! You're so creative and talented! What a wonderful way to pass those painful hours.