Tuesday, June 5, 2012

NMAM Days 2-5

It's still National Migraine Awareness Month, and I've compiled the last few days' prompts for the NMAM challenge into one post, so here we have some tidbits on talking, triggers, being prepared, and coping.

Migraine Awareness Month #2: Tea for Two. If you could invite someone (any living person) to your home for tea for the purpose of explaining Migraine disease to them so they would truly understand it, who would it be and why?

I thought about this prompt for days. Would I choose someone political, someone powerful, or someone close to me who doesn't understand like I wish they would? I think I'd rather just pass the responsibility to someone else. I'm tired of explaining myself; besides being tedious, all the talking hurts my head.


Migraine Awareness Month #3: Just shoot me now! What's your worst Migraine trigger? Can you avoid it? How do you handle it?

Light, noise, smells. Everything triggers me. I wear sunglasses and hats, earplugs, carry mints to try to cover perfumes, but these only dampen the severity of their impact, and they only buy me time. Without a hat, under fluorescent lighting, I'll only last a few minutes, in the sun without shades, I have seconds. Perfume is pretty deadly, the mints are more a comfort than a real help, and loud or competing noises can render me useless faster than a neurologically normal person would notice having to raise their voice. My life is difficult, and restricted. I'm housebound half the time, but since I've moved out of the city I'm able to get out more, with shorter periods of migrainous repercussions. Less triggers, less problems.


Migraine Awareness Month #4: "June Is Bustin' Out All Over!" What's the best tip you can offer others for having some summer fun despite Migraines?

Be prepared. I bring two bags with me whenever I think I'll be away from home for more than a few hours. My main bag carries my wallet, medications, camera, chapstick, and the like. My second bag holds a sweater, an extra hat, water, extra water, ginger ale, an umbrella, and something to occupy me, like homework or a book. I plan ahead and pack well and I ease my discomfort as well as possible. Though, I'm always better off if I can just stay at home, in the quiet, cool shade.


Migraine Awareness Month #5: "Do That To Me One More Time." What comfort measure do you find helps you enough during a Migraine that you go back to it again and again, and how do you use it?

When my head really hurts and I can't medicate out of it, I tend to turn to sci-fi shows and online games to take my mind away from the pain. I listen with the volume on low, or off entirely. I avoid anything with sweeping camera movements or flashy animations, as these can trigger motion sickness and more migraine fun, like slurring my words and stumbling. But, it takes my mind of the pain and keeps me away from anxiety and depression, both which pile on my when I've been stuck inside for too long.


0 comments: