Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Succinctly: Sickness, Sexism, Symptoms, and Scholarships

I'm on my fourth day with a stomach bug. I'm miserable.

The good news is that this is the first day I've felt good enough to try to internet. My friends and loved ones are going neglected, so many surveys remain unanswered, my email box mocks me with all the things I should be addressing, but my gut is very distracting, and the bad news is that it seems that my head is getting in on the action, too.

Last night I couldn't fall asleep without an icepack under my head, which hasn't happened since we moved. Laying in bed all day, save for many, many unhappy trips to the bathroom, isn't doing my migraines any good at all.

This morning, while trying to find something on tv to distract me from the ick that is my life right now, I stumbled upon The Princess Bride, right at the beginning when Fred Savage is giving Columbo lip about bringing him a book. I was delighted, and snuggled down into my pillows to enjoy the nostalgia. It's been one of my favorite movies since it came out, but today I watched it and wondered why Buttercup doesn't do more to save herself. Her plans for escape only ever include suicide, and she relies solely on "(her) Westley to save (her)". Gross. The movie is funny and exciting and I'd still recommend it as a movie to watch over and over, but I really wish one of these times that Buttercup would just get herself out of the damned castle. You have legs, girl.

I've applied for so many scholarships now, my head is starting to spin. I've got my fingers crossed for the future, but I don't think I'm going to be able to afford to get back in school this coming quarter. Money is ever-tight, and if we can't pay the internet bill, I can't attend class.

Sigh.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four days with a stomach bug! How can you have anything left in there? Do you have enough internet to watch Hulu? :( Here's hoping your stomach stop attempting to escape soon!

steph said...

Thank you! I'm feeling a little better today, which is exciting. I ate a whole banana. Wooo!