Saturday, July 20, 2013

I Recommend You Eat This

Hummus is the perfect summer food.

I've been stressed lately, but not in a bad way. My head's been reacting to it, like it does, but I've been getting a lot done, and that always makes the pain more bearable, for me.

This stress has brought many good things, like an A in my last class, a successful beginning in my current, and already planning fall quarter like a Boss. Also, we've happily integrated a new member into our wee pack, I've enjoyed a bit of a social life, and we've been able to keep the house consistently tidy. I'm so happy I've been able to live this much, but I still have too many days when I really feel like I've hit my limit, I'm never going to be able to get up again, and everything is just too. damn. hard. Yesterday was one of those days, and today I'm still shrugging it off, but I have just seriously cheered myself up by making hummus for lunch. So, please let me share my recipe with you, because it made me ever so happy and I hope fellow hummus-lovers, and hummus-lovers-to-be, will also find joy in my chickpea delight.

I never make hummus the same way twice, it's one of those foods that is really hard to mess up, so I just improv my way through it, and enjoy the results. You will need:

1 or more cans of chickpeas (or garbanzo beans, same thing), depending on how much hummus you want to make. You can also get them dried and prep them beforehand.

Roasted garlic. I just take a whole head or two and pop it in the oven for twenty minutes at 350. You'll only need a few cloves for the hummus, to taste, but roasted garlic will keep a while in the fridge and comes in handy in so many dishes.

Nut butter, a tablespoon or more. Traditionally, tahini (sesame seed butter) is called for, but I don't always have that on hand, and find peanut butter to be an adequate, though noticeable, substitute.

Salt, paprika, parsley, pepper, lemon juice, cayenne, basil, etc. to taste. Again, this is a hard dish to screw up, but it's a good rule of thumb to start with less and add if needed.

Extra virgin olive oil, a teaspoon to several tablespoons, depending on your preference. I prefer only a teaspoon or two of oil, and to supplement any other needed moisture with water, a tablespoon at a time.

Directions: Dump everything in a food processor and let it go until it's creamy, and nicely dippable. Slice some cucumbers, wash a few carrots, dip, eat, and feel your cares melt away. Okay, not really, but hummus is pretty good and you should try it.

0 comments: