Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Captioning Success

We are just a few weeks from the end of the quarter, and I just got the last of the video assignments from week 3.

Which, happily, ended up being the last videos of the lot! I had to do a bunch of work out of order, but now I'm all caught up and free to obsess over my last essay and my final project. And summer quarter, for which I've already registered. Ever onward.

My teacher used a few copyrighted materials as examples in our lectures, and the captioners were unable to transcribe them for me because of "copyright issues". It didn't end up being a big deal, we worked around the first instance, and the second was clips of The Matrix, which I've seen no less than thirty times and I could probably perform it for extra credit instead of getting those clips captioned, so luckily, it wasn't a problem in this class, but I thought the issue an odd one. I don't understand why they can show the movies in the class, but not caption the content, especially in an educational setting. I'm sure I'll run into the problem again, too, so that's something to look forward to.

My teacher is way behind in grading, but as of a month ago, I'm getting an A. I have a lot more work ahead of me; I'm researching the effects and potential solutions to plastic pollution for my final project, and I'm going to write my last essay on the experiences and roles of women in Song of Solomon. So, lots of work, but work I'll enjoy as it's kicking my ass.

0 comments: