Thursday, August 18, 2011

With A Little Help From My Friends

I'm officially a student again.

Summer quarter was a bust. Between money, the classes that were available, the shorter quarter (say shorter quarter out loud several times, it turns into shoulda coulda, which totally screwed with my head), and the effect the summer heat has on my migraines, I just couldn't make it work. It was pretty depressing to make all that progress, and then to just stop. But with fall approaching, my hope renewed and I tried to make it happen.

I was hell-bent on scraping money together, but every time I'd get a little ahead, something else would come up and we'd be back behind. Early registration came and went. I realized that I was running out of time and checked class availability online; the one I really wanted was already full, and other possibilities were quickly dwindling. I emailed the disabilities secretary to make an appointment with my counselor, but she was out of the office until way after classes started. I could see John Stranger, who may or may not be saturated in cologne. At least, that's what I read. I panicked a little, but made the appointment anyway.

The appointment approached, as appointments do, but the funds still weren't adding up.

I asked for help.

Sue answered. She paypal'd me a hand up and my heart grew three sizes. Thanks again, Sue!

And then, at the last minute, I was able to call on another irl friend to cover the difference. This friend also gave me a ride, and then sat in the meeting with me, saved us time and frustration when he caught a miscommunication between me and the counselor, and listened to me squee for a while afterwards, while we ate sweets and drank coffee. Thanks again, my dear irl friend.

And the people in the disabilities services department, they've been great. Both of the counselors I've seen were patient and knowledgeable, they repeated things I didn't understand, and reassured me without patronizing me. When I asked, "Which class is easier?" with faked nonchalance, I was deeply relieved when neither of them batted an eyelash. Apparently, it's ok to need an easier class.

Even their office is fantastic. I was waiting to see my interim counselor and was delighted to realize I could take off my hat because ALL of the overhead lighting in the office was covered by a glorious diamond patterned shield that kept the lights bright enough to be efficient, but took away all direct glare. Brilliant. We just need to make one of those for the sun and I'll be set.

I am so grateful to everyone who helped me that day. Saying thank you doesn't seem like enough, though. I'm hoping that this step will be the first of many that take me somewhere better than I am now. How do you thank someone for helping you change your life?

Only with help have I gotten this far. I won't ever forget it.


3 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay! So proud of you!

And how great to have friends out there step up to the plate. I really wanted to help, but with 2 weeks off of work bc of my unpredictable head and the back to school supplies for the boys...I'm broke myself!

Sue said...

You are most welcome! Enjoy your studies!

Heather said...

How exciting, and how cool of Sue to help you! I really think you'll love being back in school. It's a challenge, but challenges can be good and they're a great way to get your mind to think about something else aside from the pain. Good luck, you'll do wonderfully!! :)