Thursday, August 20, 2009

Homeopathy

I still don't think I'm saying it right. HomeOpathy? HomeoPATHy? Definitely inflection on the O. What was my point? Oh yeah! I'm giving it a shot, despite being slightly irritated at myself for it. I'm more than a little skeptical.

I've got to try, though. If I don't, I've already failed. I pride myself on having an open mind. I like to play devil's advocate and try to understand things from as many points of view as my little brain can hold. So, homeopathy isn't the most scientific medicine. It's not the most popular, or even the most radical. I think that I realized I had been totally prejudiced against homeopathy when I told a friend I wasn't interested in trying it, and in the next breath said I'd consider surgery. Then, it occurred to me: Why Not? I'm pretty sure it can't hurt me. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and I've blown some money. Just because western medicine only acknowledges it as a pseudoscience (at best), doesn't mean it won't work. It just means that science has no idea if it works, or why. I've been an atheist since I was ten years old, but that doesn't mean that there is no god. Despite my personal beliefs, I've accepted blessings on my head in the name of deities and their respective prophets gratefully. Why not? I accept presents from Santa every year, even though I am pretty sure I am way too old to be on either of his lists. Why not give homeopathy a try? So, I bought two different high-ishly rated (and cheap) bottles of homeopathic headache and migraine pills.

I'm trying one at a time, and the first is a concoction of anconite, belladonna, bryonia, gelsenium (or is that gelsemium?), hypericum (st. johns wort), kali phosporicum, and natrum muriaticum (which is, apparently, salt). I googled the ingredients and all, except otherwise noted, are derived from plants of varying toxicity, from "instant death" to "causes skin irritation". The pills cause a very mild stomach upset, which results in a little burping and queasiness. If I eat something with them, I generally don't notice anything.

My inner skeptic is rolling her eyes constantly. So, she'll probably rule out the placebo effect. If the pills have had any effect on my head, I haven't noticed, yet. But, I'm only halfway through the first bottle, so I'll save my final verdict.

I'd be interested to hear about others' experience with homeopathic medicine. Comment or message me if you have any thoughts you'd like to share on the topic.

0 comments: